I’ve always been enamored with holidays. And holiday decorations. My favorite new thing to do is to decorate the mantel. There’s even a blog called 52 Mantels! We don’t actually have a mantel so I decorate our buffet. I like how it makes my decorating efforts compact and concentrated. That way you don’t need to have, or store, tons of stuff!
A few tips for decorating your mantel:
1) Use what you have. You probably already have a supply of holiday decorations. This is a good starting point. I have always decorated for Halloween but not for Thanksgiving. Although the jack-o-lanterns didn’t seem right, the paper mache pumpkin my son made in Kindergarten was perfect. So was the scarecrow. Also, look for thing that are just lying around. I went searching for things that were orange and brown and found two soup bowls in the kitchen cabinet in those colors hat even had turkeys on them. Who knew!
2) Add seasonal flowers or plants. For Christmas there are poinsettias, pine wreaths, and holly. For Valentine’s Day, roses. I also choose plants and flowers for their colors. For example, red roses are great for Valentine’s Day but they could work for Christmas and the 4th of July. I plan to use the pumpkin on the porch and fill it with flowers for our Thanksgiving centerpiece. Nice idea from Inspiring Pretty.
3) Use free printables. I love free printables! They are free! I found the idea and free template for my Give Thanks Banner from At Second Street. Speaking of giving thanks, thanks Kalleen At Second Street!
4) Subway art. These are those cute prints that you can just frame for instant decoration. Simple Crafter has some great ones. They are also all over Pinterest.
5) Make it your own. Decorate in your own style. Add family pictures. You can get ideas from other people but always own it!
6) Keep it fresh. You don’t have to use every single item every single time. Change it up and don’t over do it.
- Winter Mantel on HGTV.com (organizeyourstuffnow.com)
- A Mantel To Fall For (cobwebscupcakesandcrayons.com)
- christmas village printable kit (claudinehellmuth.blogspot.com)
- 6 Ways To Decorate A Mantel (theglitterguide.com)
- Holiday wreaths (gypsymindonline.com)
- Holiday Project Wish List! (narrowtheway.com)